Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Aphorisms

I love aphorisms. I probably could have done quite well had I gone into the fortune cookie business. Since I somewhat reluctantly began using Twitter (the cuteness of that name still revolts me) I find myself using them frequently. And since, as you know, I hate losing a single word I've written, I've started collecting some I've posted there. Some may arguably not be aphorisms, but then not all small insects found on pepper plants are aphids. (I have no idea where that came from.) Here are a few:

Every new day is a blank page in the story of our lives. Write clearly, write large...and use crayons.

Life is a burning building, and I am frantically trying to save as much of myself as I can through my words.

Why are those who preach so fervently about the glories of heaven not in more of a hurry to get there?

Readers are to writers what rainfall is to a drought.

The mark of a true friend is one with whom, after not being in contact for several years, you can pick up a conversation in mid sentence.

Communication rests not so much on conveying information as on being able to understand what is being conveyed.

Always remember: Silence is not golden; silence equals consent. If we do not speak out against an offense, we deserve what we get.

Having a good friend is a matter of luck; being a good friend requires effort.

There is a great difference between growing older and growing old.

Good writing is like making good gravy...you've got to be sure to get all the lumps out.

Life is a game of Russian roulette, and the older one gets, the more bullets are put in the chamber.

When an ad says "No Reasonable Offer Refused," guess who determines what is reasonable?

It is generally easier to point someone in the right direction than to try to drag them.

Have you ever noticed that good advice is easier given than taken?

Humans seem incapable of appreciating what they have until it is gone forever.

Anyone who follows others without question is a sheep, and has no right to complain when they're fleeced.

The primary purpose of any bureaucracy is to propagate itself and its power.

The problem with "passing time" is that you don't pass it...it passes you.

Why is it that proselytizers, in their zeal to convert you to their way of thinking, have no interest whatever in what you currently think?

New entries are posted by 10 a.m. Central time every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Please come back...and bring a friend. Your comments are always welcome. And you're invited to stop by my website at http://www.doriengrey.com, or drop me a note at doriengrey@att.net.

No comments: