Friday, April 17, 2009

To Each a Rainbow

I'm not sure if I mentioned it in an earlier blog, but I received a note from a reader (I love notes from readers) who said that while he agreed with a lot of what I had to say, he'd hesitated to write to tell me so because he had also gotten the impression that I was a rather unpleasant person. I was honestly surprised to hear that, and hastened to tell him that I really hoped that wasn't the case. But on reflection I could see where he got the idea.

So many of these blogs rail against stupidity and injustice and negative things that it might be easy to think that's all I saw.

True, life is pretty stormy at times, and there are occasions when it seems the rain will never end. But it always does. I recently read something to the effect that without rain there would be no rainbows; I truly believe that, and that longer and more violent the storm, the more we can appreciate the rainbows when they appear. We all need our own rainbows. I often find mine in unexpected places. Recently I came across three of them in the form of YouTube videos, and I'd like to offer them to you in hopes you might enjoy them as much as I do.

The first is currently one of the most popular videos on YouTube: a little 47 year old Scottish woman named Susan Boyle, appearing on Britain's version of America's Got Talent. If you've ever watched a show of this type, you know that if you're not young/cute/perky/handsome you're pretty much doomed before you open your mouth.

Susan walks on stage looking like she were a teacher walking into a third-grade classroom. No makeup, sensible shoes, wearing a simple dress she bought for her nephew's wedding. The immediate reaction from the audience is one of sharks spotting a piece of chum being tossed into their tank. Audiences on this type of show tend to be an unforgiving and bloodthirsty lot. They look at one another and snicker when she announces she wants to be a professional singer, and then move forward in their seats eager to take part in the slaughter. And when asked what she'd going to sing, she says "I dreamed a dream" from Les Miserables, and.... If you are one of the few people on the planet who has not yet seen it, do yourself a favor and go to YouTube and type in "Susan Boyle." (Unfortunately, I can't get direct links to work here.) And if you have already seen it, why not relive the pleasure?

The second video was shot in the Antwerp, Belgium, railway station during a normal day's routine, as unsuspecting travelers went about their business. I would give anything to have been there, to see the reactions of those not participating. I never tire of watching it. A wonderful and joyful experience. Go to YouTube and type in "Op zoek naar Maria" (The title is in Dutch.)

My third rainbow has special significance for me and the 20 million other Americans like me who historically been told we have no right to feel pride in who we are. For us, it has been a terrible and a long storm which is only now ending. Forced together because we were not welcome by the mainstream, we chose the rainbow as our own special flag of independence. Here, John Barrowman, an openly gay man, gives our pride voice. He sings not only for gays and lesbians, of course, but for all the disenfanchised who only want to be free to be who they are. Please watch Go to YouTube, type in "John Barrowman - I Am What I Am" and select the one where he is weaing a white open-collar shirt.

Each of us needs a rainbow....something that moves us, inspires us and gives us comfort, warmth, sheer joy, and an appreciation for the gift of life. When you find one, treasure it...and share it.

New entries are posted by 10 a.m. Central time every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Please come back, and bring a friend.

No comments: