Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Duds

Ever see news footage of an explosion in a fireworks factory? It's pretty much the situation I find myself in at the moment. It is six p.m. and I have known perfecly well all day that I have to post a new blog tomorrow morning. And not only do I not have one, but I haven't a clue as to what to write about. And just standing here babbling doesn't really help much either. Trying to come up with an idea got me to thinking of the fireworks factory analogy. I've got thoughts and ideas and possibilities and maybes and how about's and I've already done that ones shooting in all directions, whistling and popping and booming as they go.

So what's my problem? I grab myself (figuratively) by the shoulders to keep me from running around in circles chasing my own tail (again, figuratively) and try to talk some sense into myself---always a risky proposition at best. So I don't do a blog one day? What, the world will come to an end? Civilization as we know it will crumble? Hardly.

Okay, but if I don't have a blog ready for you after you've gone to all the trouble to come and look for it and expect to find one, you would rightly be unhappy with me, and I certainly couldn't blame you one bit. You'd probably go away muttering under your breath about these uppity writers who have no sense of responsibility, and how it will be a cold day in August before you ever come back again. There are ten million other bloggers out there who'd be happy to have you take your valuable time to read what they had to say, and they're probably a lot more interesting than I am, and....my tendency to melodrama
loves moments like this.

You don't care, nor should you, that one of the reasons I am unprepared is because I am still trying to transfer files from my PC to my new laptop, which is far easier to write about than to do. I find myself running full-tilt, head lowered and not wearing a helmet, into a concrete block wall every five minutes or so. I call Gary for help. He explains carefully. I thank him profusely, and do exactly what he has told me to do....if I can remember it (it's been all of ten seconds since he told me, after all. What does he expect? Miracles?)

How about a blog on how computers hate me? Nope. Been there, done that. Less than a week ago. And so the fireworks factory burns to the ground, reduced at the end to firing off duds. And this is one.

Sigh. And once again I think of the high school English test for which I was totally unprepared. I threw myself on the mercy of the teacher, explaining nobly how I could have cheated but did not.. And I realized that is exactly what I have been doing here....babbling on in the hopes that you won't notice that I have said nothing at all, and that this is a pretty piss-poor excuse for a blog.

I really will try hard to see that this never happens again! Really, I will! You believe me, don't you? Huh?

Hey, it was worth a try.

New entries are posted by 10 a.m. Central time every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Please come back, and bring a friend.

No comments: