Friday, March 26, 2010

AT&T and Me

My internet service is via something called DSL, which is an option provided by AT&T for those who do not have AT&T land-line telephones, at a rate far lower than combined phone-internet service. Since I buy my cell-phone service in blocks of 500 minutes for $50 (which can last me sometimes four months or longer) and therefore have no monthly-fee contract with any telephone provider, I signed up.

I mentioned in my blog-before-last that my third-in-18-months DSL modem (a Motorola) died and that I'd called for a replacement. Eight days ago.

The day before yesterday (Tuesday), an AT&T phone repairman actually did show up at 10 a.m. (six days into the problem and my sixth day without internet service) only long enough to tell me that the phone lines to my new apartment were "shot" and needed to be replaced, that someone would be over to fix the problem "within 24 hours," I called them once again at 2:00 yesterday (Wednesday). I went through my by-now-rote recitation of the problem, that it had been dragging on for (then) seven days, and that I relied on the internet for my business--which is true to a large extent--only to be told that no work order had yet been placed, but that because they would try to get someone out here by 4 p.m. today, if that was alright. I told them no, after seven days of waiting, 4 p.m. was NOT alright, and that I expected someone to be here no later than 8:30 this morning. After being put on hold several times while the person I was talking to conversed with higher powers, she reluctantly--and I am sure now, condescendingly--agreed that someone would be here "first thing Thursday morning." "For sure?" "Yes. Definitely."

It is now 1:31 p.m. Thursday afternoon and I have not seen an AT&T repairman. I have not received a telephone call from an AT&T repairman. What I have seen is red! Lots and lots of red. Even knowing that my anger/rage/frustration is an absolute, total exercise in futility, I still rage. AT&T will get here, if it ever deigns to do so, in it's own good time and on it's own schedule. After all, who in the hell do I think I am, anyway? A mere mortal having the unmitigated gall to complain about a corporation's service?

Oh, but they are clever! "They'll call first," I was told, which I now realize was their way of saying "just shut up and wait." They may consider 1:31 p.m. to be "first thing in the morning" but I do not. And the brilliance of "they'll call first" is to prevent me from getting on the phone yet again to interfere with their busy day. It effectively assures that I will not call since, if I did, while I am on hold for 15 minutes waiting to talk to someone, I am providing them with a solid base for what would undoubtedly be their later claim that "the repairman tried to reach you, but your line was busy."

I realize I exist, in AT&T's eyes, solely as one tiny red corpuscle of income in the vast blood flow of the corporate body, and that there is no possible way they could give a rat's behind that they have kept me in a state alternating between (and frequently a combination of) frustration and rage for eight days. ("And we should care...why?)

Now, let me make it perfectly clear lest AT&T attorneys begin knocking on my door, that all this is a simple recitation of my personal experiences. I am positive no one else in the history of the world has had a similar one. And I am not, in any way, shape, or form suggesting for one instant that you should avoid any...ANY...contact with AT&T like the plague, as I certainly would do if I were just now considering going with them. No, no, I am sure your association with this august, revered, and omnipotent/omniscient corporate giant would be absolutely flawless. I am quite sure any possible complaint--though the mere idea of a complaint probably would never arise--would be dealt with expeditiously and efficiently, and you would nestle forever in their warm, loving embrace; the perfect marriage of fragile, flawed human and loving, caring, protective corporation.

And me? Well, what's there to say? I am a troublemaker, a curmudgeon of the first order, and a lightning rod for disasters, real and contrived. If I am unhappy with AT&T, I am perfectly free to choose another gigantic conglomerate corporative carrier who will, I am sure, treat me as a valued customer. Riiight!

New entries are posted by 10 a.m. Central time every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Please come back...and bring a friend. Your comments are always welcome. And you're invited to stop by my website at http://www.doriengrey.com, or drop me a note at doriengrey@att.net.

No comments: